You have probably heard the term hygge thrown around in conversation/ pop-culture, but what is the hygge lifestyle and why is it important?
What is Hygge?
There is no direct translation from the Danish word hygge (pronounced hue-guh or hoo-ga) to any word in the English language. (this is incredibly telling about our own lifestyle).
Hygge can be described in many ways. “The little book of Hygge” by Meik Wiking, references it as,” coziness of the soul,” “the art of creating intimacy,” “the lack of annoyance,” and “taking pleasure from the presence of soothing things.”
Beyond this, hygge is a feeling that encompasses elements in all areas ranging from your physical surroundings, the group around you, your entertainment choices, food and beverage, and even more. It isn’t just one category of items, it spans across everything that makes up a lifestyle.
Why is Hygge important?
The Danish people are consistently ranked as the happiest and most satisfied group of people in the world compared to all other countries. The reason that this is incredibly important is because hygge is a key element to the Danish lifestyle experience. If the Danish are the happiest people in the world and they have a hygge lifestyle, we can steal or hack elements of their lifestyle to make our own lives happier and more satisfied.
Elements of Hygge
As previously noted, the hygge lifestyle encompasses MANY things. Here I am sharing a few elements that are considered to be hyggelig (hygge-like).
- Non-scented candles
- A few friends, an intimate group of 2-6 people.
- A key element of hygge is social intimacy. Being around people who are emotionally close to you and do not make you put on heirs of socializing with strangers.
- Comfortable seating
- Comfortable clothing
- No electronics
- Soft music
- Conversation (not loud of yelling)
- Sounds of nature
- Warmth (physical and of the soul)
- Soft fabrics and blankets
- Close intimate friendships (the people who know you best in the world).
- Fun: whether its good conversation or a game night, hyggelig experiences are all about enjoying life!
- Warm beverages like mulled wine, tea or hot cocoa
- Sweet baked deserts
- Comfort foods (heavy in meats)
How to create a hyggelig experience
I challenge you to create a hyggelig night with close friends or family.
Invite a close group to come together for a game night or conversations by the fire and serve yummy warm beverages and sweets!
Remember, a hygge lifestyle is not made up of one hyggelig night, it is an ongoing lifestyle that makes the Danish content and satisfied.